Email Me!

Email me questions, comments, or post ideas!
nameaholic@gmail.com

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Names Post (by Proxy)

I had been thinking of doing a Christmas Names post, but as I kept procrastinating because I was busy, and sick, and because I felt like it was too narrow minded to do a post just about Christmas when there are many other religions out there. Then, I started to see other baby name blogs doing Christmas name posts, and decided that they had done a good enough job. So, if you are interested in some Christmas names, I would check out:

Appellation Mountain: Unexpected Christmas Names for Girls
Appellation Mountain: Unexpected Christmas Names for Boys
Nameberry Blog: Christmas Baby Names from Natalie to Noel

As my child was due right around Christmas, we actually discussed whether this should impact the name. For example, we liked the name Natalie due to family connections and the sound, and Natalie means Christmas. However, it is at an all time high of popularity and ranked number 14th last year, so we decided not to go with it (not that it mattered as we ended up having a son).

Here are my favorites from the above blog posts:

Boys
Douglas - They recommend Douglas due to Douglas pines, to me it brings to mind the Christmas Song "Douglas Mountain". The name is Scottish and means "black river"
Casper - Recommended because it is one of the three wise men. This, and its cousin Jasper, are already on the rise, regardless of its Christmas association. Name meaning is "treasurer"
Rudy - Recommended as a shortened reference to Rudolph. It means "famous wolf" in Old English.

Girls
Neva - Recommended because it means Snow. Remember how I said once you see a name once it keeps coming up? Well here is Neva again!
Bell - Its obvious why its recommended, right? Would be a word name if spelled like this.

Would you consider using a Christmas themed name for a child?

3 comments:

  1. Nope. Except for Noel. I really liked that name for aboy. I am surprised its not on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only if it wasn't overly Christmas-y and the child was born ON Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of "Christmas" names suggested on name blogs don't seem very suitable in the southern hemisphere (or anywhere warm); ideas like Snow, Winter or Frost are out, and there's no (real) holly, robins or Douglas firs in evidence.

    Which leaves blatantly religious names, and those from popular culture - neither of which really appeal to me.

    I had to cover a Christmas name a year ago, and I came up with Sunniva, which seemed the most appropriate I could find.

    ReplyDelete